Certificate of Graduate Study in Public Health
The 15-credit Certificate of Graduate Study in Public Health (PH) provides individuals from diverse backgrounds with a solid foundation of knowledge and skills in public health, health policy, community health, epidemiology as well as offering students an opportunity to pursue interests in evaluation, planning or quality.
The public health certificate can serve to augment a student's previous academic training and facilitate advancement in a variety of private health and service organizations as well as public agencies. Alternatively, the certificate can serve as a strong introduction and preview to the field of public health prior to committing to a formal masters' program.
Certificate students who apply for, and are admitted to, a master's degree program, may transfer up to 15 credits from their certificate coursework.
Courses are scheduled in the late afternoon and evening for the convenience of working students, and are held at the Muskie School on the USM Portland campus. Some courses are accessible via distance through the University's distance education network, streaming video, or similar technology.
For More Information
For more information, please contact:
Chair, Public Health Program
Phone: (207) 780-4847
Required Courses (9 credits):
- MPH 525 American Health Systems (3 credits)
- MPH 535/AMS 535 Introduction to Epidemiologic Research (3 credits)
- MPH 565 Social and Behavioral Foundations for Public Health (3 credits)
Select six credits from the following list:
- MPH 545/AMS 545 Applied Biostatistical Analysis (3 credits)
- MPH 555 Environmental Health (3 credits)
- MPH 625 Organizational Leadership (3 credits)
- MPH 630 Health Planning and Marketing (3 credits)
- MPH 635 Health Law and Ethics (3 credits)
- MPH 640 Finance I (3 credits)
- MPH 645 Finance II (2 credits)
- MPH 650 Applied Public Health Research and Evaluation (3 credits)
- MPH 655 Public Health Practice (3 credits)
- MPH 660 Health Policy (3 credits)
- MPH 665 Health Economics (3 credits)
- MPH 670 Quality Improvement (3 credits)
- MPH 675 Health Information Management (3 credits)
Visit the USM Graduate Admissions site for information on the graduate certificate program application process.
Questions about applying? Contact the Muskie School Student Affairs Office at (207) 780-4864 or email@example.com
Questions about the certificate? Contact Professor Elise Bolda at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 780-4847
“An Assessment of the Economics of Natural and Built Infrastructure for Water Resources in Maine" (authors, Charles Colgan, Damon Yakovleff, and Samuel Merrill)
“Leadership in a Changing Environment: A Leadership Model for Child Welfare,” published in Administration in Social Work (author, Freda Bernotavicz)