Dara J. Kaufman Scholarship
Dara Kaufman was tragically killed during a camping trip on June 19, 2006, one day before her 23rd birthday. Just a year before this, Dara returned to the University of Southern Maine after a wonderful and transformative year spent studying in Seville, Spain. She graduated cum laude with a major in Hispanic Studies and a minor in Economics. To honor Dara’s love of learning, travel and adventure, a scholarship fund has been established to support high-achieving USM students who wish to study abroad as part of an approved program and who would otherwise be unable financially to do so.
As a Dara J. Kaufman Scholar you must:
- Be a full-time Maine resident;
- Have an overall GPA of 3.2 or more;
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate degree candidate
- Be able to demonstrate financial need in order to receive up to $5000
- Write an essay in response to the questions included in the application
- Submit 2 recommendations from USM faculty members who have taught you as a student in their classes
- Help publicize this opportunity to other students upon your return
- Commit to participate in selecting a new Dara J. Kaufman Scholar during the semester following your trip
Deadlines: For fall study abroad the deadline is in late February and for Spring study abroad the deadline is in early Octrober of each year.
For specific questions related this scholarship please contact Kimberly in the International Programs office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 207-780-4959.