- Graduate Programs
- Graduate Catalog
- APPLICATION to USM Graduate Degree Programs
- MaineStreet (Application Status)
- General Graduate Application Instructions
- Graduate Program-Specific Application Instructions and Deadlines
- Special Instructions for International Students
- Graduate Certificate Programs and APPLICATION Form *Please Note* Students enrolled solely in Certificate of Graduate Study programs are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid
- Re-APPLICATION Form
- Electronic Letter of Recommendation System
- Admission FAQs
- Graduate Admissions Staff - Who to Ask
- Graduate Tuition and Fees
Graduate Admissions - International Applicants
In additional to the standard application materials, international students must also provide the following materials before their application will be reviewed:
- International students whose first language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and submit official scores as part of the application process. Only applicants with TOEFL scores of 550 or higher on the paper-based test, 213 or higher on the computer-based test, or 79 or higher on the internet-based test, or IELTS scores of 6.5 or higher will be considered for admission to a graduate program.
- International students are also required to provide a completed Declaration of Finances form and a Letter of Sponsorship (if applicable).
- The University of Southern Maine requires translated copies of your degree information with verification that the degree you hold is equivalent to a United States Bachelor's Degree. All transcripts from outside the United States, even if in English, must be evaluated for degree equivalancy. Some Canadian and UK institutions are exempt, please contact us for clarification. Click here for list of recommended translation companies.
- Students requiring a student visa may have different deadlines than other students. Please check with the USM Office of International Programs for current requirements.
USM's International Programs office is located in 101 Payson-Smith on the Portland campus and can be contacted at 207-780-4959 or 1-800-800-4USM (4876), ext. 4959. All visa questions should be directed to this office.
E-mail messages can be directed to:
Kimberly Sinclair at email@example.com