Financial Aid Office
Helpful Hints For Navigating the Financial Aid Process
- Establish a Financial Aid file for your records. Keep copies of all information submitted to the office.
- Meet Deadlines! Don't wait until the deadline approaches. Financial aid is a time-sensitive process and early applicants benefit.
- Ask for the name of the staff member with whom you are speaking when you call the office. Follow-up calls will be much easier for you if you speak with the same person.
- Maintain communication with the office. Respond to all requests for additional information as quickly as possible. Your award may be delayed until you have responded. These requests may come via your official University email. For further help activating your University email account, please contact the USM Help Desk at 207-780-4029.
- Supply your name and student ID number on all correspondence sent to the office!
- Receipt of outside aid (for example, scholarships and/or tuition reimbursements) must be reported to the Financial Aid Office immediately. Federal regulations require that outside aid be taken into consideration when your award is calculated. Failure to report them may result in an adjustment to your award. For further information please review the most recent USM Undergraduate Catalog.
- Your award will be calculated based on the number of credit hours you reported on your FAFSA. Any changes in credit hours must be reported to our office to ensure that your award is based on the proper charges. Failing to notify the Financial Aid Office may delay the disbursement of funds to your student account.
- USM maintains an online service called MaineStreet which allows you to check the status of your financial aid award and provides access to your student bill 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- For more consumer information, please visit the USM Undergraduate Catalog