Certificate of Advanced Study in Educational Leadership Admissions
- Successful completion of a master’s degree
- Strong recommendations
- Documentation of excellent written communication skills
- Clarity and strength of professional goals
To earn a certificate, students must complete 75 percent of the required coursework at USM, and earn a grade of B (3.0) or better in each course.
Candidates should submit all application materials to the USM Office of Graduate Admissions, PO Box 9300, Portland, ME 04104-9300.
A complete application consists of:
- A submitted online graduate admission application
- An application fee of $65.00 made payable to USM
- Two sets of official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended, including USM
- Three recommendations attesting to the applicant’s knowledge of current scholarship, capacity to connect theory and practice in posing and solving educational problems, achievement of excellence in educational practice, and demonstrated capability and motivation to engage in advanced graduate study.Recommendations must be received either directly from the recommender or forwarded by the applicant on the official recommendation form (pdf) and in sealed envelopes with the recommender’s signature over the seal.
- A brief essay (500-750 words) which includes the applicant’s reason(s) for pursuing advanced graduate study; the proposed focus of the applicant’s program, including specific courses if known; and an explanation of how the proposed program fits the applicant’s personal and professional goals.
- Your current resume
- Proof of Teacher Certification using the Teacher Credential Form (pdf)
- Certification of finances (international students only)
- TOEFL scores (international students whose first language is not English)
Your application is reviewed when all materials have been submitted. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing and receiving the admission decision once an application is complete.
Acceptance to a certificate program does not constitute acceptance to a master’s or post-master’s certificate of advanced study program. Applications for degree status must be made under separate cover.
Testing Requirement: Submit official TOEFL scores of 550 or higher on the paper-based test, 79 or higher on the Internet-based test, or 213 or higher on the computer-based test if the applicant is an international student whose first language is not English. International students who have received their undergraduate degree from an English-speaking institution may apply for a waiver of this requirement.
Transfer Policies: Previously completed graduate courses may be approved for transfer into a graduate program within the educational leadership program if credits for the courses were earned no more than five years prior to matriculation, with grades of B or better. A syllabus for each course submitted for transfer credit must be provided upon application.
For previous work completed through the University of Maine System (UMS), up to twelve (12) credits may be accepted if the courses meet the requirements above and they are equivalent to core courses or elective courses in the relevant USM program of study. Up to six (6) graduate credits completed at institutions outside of the University of Maine System may be accepted if the courses meet the requirements above and are equivalent to core courses or elective courses in the relevant USM program of study.
Transfer of more than twelve (12) University of Maine System credits or six (6) non-University of Maine System credits may be approved by the program coordinator and faculty. These credits may include certificate of graduate study program courses and professional development in-service graduate courses. Requests for the transfer of credits taken more than five (5) years prior to matriculation may also be evaluated and approved by the program coordinator and faculty.