$5,000 scholarships available for USM STEM majors!
- Click here for 2013-2014 Scholarship Application
- FAFSA Completion Date: February 12, 2013
- Application Due Date: February 15, 2013
For more information, contact: Dr. Carl Blue at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 207-780-5391.
The University of Southern Maine has received a grant from the National Science Foundation worth over $500,000 to support a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Scholarship Program to improve educational opportunities for academically talented and financially needy incoming freshmen students, transfers, and USM Juniors who are interested in STEM careers in Computer Science, Engineering, Environmental Science, and Technology Management.
Students who meet the academic and financial selection criteria will be awarded up to $5,000 in scholarship funds. Scholarships will be made available for all 4 years at USM provided students make satisfactory academic progress; transfer and USM student scholarships are for 3 years.
STEM Scholars will also have access to support services and enrichment activities outside of the classroom including:
- Summer Bridge Program: A 3-day summer orientation that will provide a course in academic survival skills, introductions to STEM, and team-building exercises. Students will live in a common USM dorm during the orientation and industry representatives will attend to discuss career opportunities.
- Advising Mentors: Faculty members will serve as advising mentors offering encouragement, academic support, and advisement.
- Living/Learning Community: STEM Scholars who reside on-campus will be encouraged to live in the same residential community.
- Peer Mentors & Tutors: USM will support junior and senior level students to mentor and tutor all student cohorts.
- Personalized Academic Support Plan: STEM Scholars can choose to participate in the USM Student Success Center's academic support program.
- Optional Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships, Internships, and Co-ops: Opportunities will be made available to STEM Scholars to conduct projects with faculty mentors or gain work experience with local businesses.
- STEM Career Awareness Seminars: STEM Scholars will become acquainted with the kinds of STEM professional opportunities available in the region through presentations by local businesses and industry representatives.
- Career Planning Workshops: Workshops will cover interviewing techniques, resume design, and job-hunting skills.
Incoming Freshmen should be a Maine high school graduating senior with a 2.5 or higher GPA who qualifies for financial aid (EFC below $10,000). Students must be accepted into one of the following USM departments: Computer Science, Engineering, Environmental Science, or Technology.
Transfer Students should have a 2.5 or higher GPA at one of the following partnering schools: Central Maine Community College, Southern Maine Community College, or York Community College.
USM Students should have a 2.5 or higher GPA who qualifies for financial aid (EFC below $10,000). Students must have obtained Junior status within their major, and be majoring in one of the following USM departments: Computer Science, Engineering, Environmental Science, or Technology.
Please note: You must be enrolled full-time (for at least 12 credits) during each semester you receive funds and maintain a 2.5 GPA.
Click here for 2013-2014 Scholarship Application.
Who are the current 2012 STEM Scholars? Meet them here.
Current scholars: Spring 2013 monthly meeting schedule posted.
Visit the Student Research Resources page for other tools available.