Prior to joining USM, Dr. McDonnell served as research professor and interim dean at the College of Business at Stony Brook University, where he helped launched the university’s first MBA program. He also led implementation of a joint degree with Nanjing University in China and an expanded executive master’s degree in technology management program in Seoul, Korea.
Before becoming an academic administrator, McDonnell held leadership positions within the business world, serving as senior vice president for marketing and external affairs for the Long Island Lighting Company, managing director of Broadgate Consultants, a Wall Street communications and investor relations firm, and president of Chinex International, LTD, a joint venture with China National Machinery Corporation. McDonnell also has served as director of business administration for Applied Digital Data Systems, a division of the NCR Corporation, and as associate director of the Stony Brook University Hospital.
He earned a bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in philosophy from Stony Brook University, and holds a doctorate in communications from the University of Southern California.
- Lincoln and Douglas: Leadership lessons for a divided country, Portland Press Herald
- The Five Minute University: Rethinking the educational experience, Portland Press Herald
- University and city can be partners in economic development, Portland Press Herald
- Building a robust middle class, Bangor Daily News
- The health care challenge for small business, Bangor Daily News
- Pay attention to today's Willy Lomans, Bangor Daily News
- Would Warren Buffett buy your business?, Bangor Daily News
- The search for job creators, Bangor Daily News
- Business lessons from the Bard, Bangor Daily News
- Bloomberg's bold bid: Lessons in economic development, Bangor Daily News
- Looking at the building blocks of leadership, Bangor Daily News
- Reimagining career preparation, Bangor Daily News
- Rethinking education to move forward, Bangor Daily News
- Cut out-of-state tuition to spur economic growth, Bangor Daily News
- Is Maine developing a workforce for its future?, Bangor Daily News