Faculty Research Programs
Synthesis and characterization of group 14 metalloles
Professors Tracy, Ford, and Prudenté; Professors Mullin (UNE) and Benferamo (St. Joseph's)
This project is focused on the synthesis of new group 14 metalloles, metalla-fluorenes, and their derivatives, the photophysical characterization of the new compounds, and the development of chemical sensors, immunoassay schemes, and electroluminescent devices constructed using the most promising of these new compounds. Efforts are directed toward the synthesis of derivatives with varying solubilities, enhanced native luminescence, and targeted emission wavelength characteristics.
- Jerome L. Mullin, Henry J. Tracy, James R. Ford, Scott R. Keenan and Fred Fridman, "Characteristics of Aggregation Induced Emission in 1,1-dimethyl,2,3,4,5-tetraphenyl- and hexaphenyl Siloles and Germoles", Journal of Inorganic and Organometallic Polymers and Materials, 2007, 17, 201-213.
- Henry J. Tracy, Jerome L. Mullin, Wim T. Klooster, James A. Martin, Judith Haug, Scott Wallace, Issac Rudloe, and Kimberly Watts, “Enhanced Photoluminescence from Group 14 Metalloles in Aggregated and Solid Solutions,” Inorg. Chem. 2005, 44, 2003-2011.
- Fecteau, K., Tracy, H., Bozeman, T., Benfaremo, N, Ford, J., Mullin, J., "Novel naphthyl substituted siloles: Synthesis, characterization, and photoluminescent properties", presentation at 235th ACS National Meeting, April 2008.
- Henry J. Tracy, Trevor Bozeman, James Ford, Nicholas Benfaremo, Jerome L. Mullin and Danielle L. Woodall, "Novel silole derivatives: Synthesis, characterization, and photoluminescence properties", at the 234th ACS National Meeting, Boston, MA., Aug 2007.
- Jerome L. Mullin, Henry J. Tracy, James R. Ford, Scott R. Keenan and Fred Fridman, "Exploring the Mechanism of Aggregation-induced Emission (AIE) in Group 14 Metalloles", at the 232nd ACS National Meeting, San Francisco, CA., Sept 2006.
USM Chemistry Club
The USM Chemistry Club is an ACS Student Chapter that works to educate and entertain students in K-12 about the principles of chemistry through engaging demonstrations.
In addition to performing demonstrations, the USM Chemistry Club presents chemistry research from a variety of fields at the annual national ACS conference.Learn More