How to Apply
Applying for admission to the American and New England Studies program is a simple process. You will need to submit the following materials to USM's Office of Graduate Studies:
- Online application at https://www.applyweb.com/apply/usmaine
- Two sets of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended on the undergraduate and graduate levels, including USM;
- Test scores from either the Graduate Records Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT), unless you already have a graduate degree in the humanities or social sciences, in which case this requirement is waived;
- Three letters of recommendation, ideally from professors who have recently had you in class or other individuals who can speak to the sorts of abilities required to do well as a graduate student (ability to assimilate knowledge, communication skills, organization, maturity, motivation, etc.)
- A brief essay explaining your interest in the ANES program;
- The application fee of $65.00 to be submitted during online application process.
Occasionally students ask if they should submit an academic writing sample. While we do not require such a submission, you may include one if you think it will strengthen your application.
For deadlines, further information, and copies of the necessary forms, please visit the web site of the Office of Graduate Admissions. And feel free to contact the Director of the ANES program if you have any specific questions or concerns.